I am regularly asked by customers to explain the pro’s and con’s of buying and installing a second hand stairlift. Second hand stairlifts also known as pre-owned or re-conditioned stairlifts appear to be the best value for money option when choosing a stairlift. However there are pitfalls to be aware of.
What are the pro’s and con’s of purchasing a second hand stairlift instead of installing a brand new one.
There advantages are :
- Second hand stairlifts look almost identical to new stair lifts. In fact, it’s nearly impossible to tell the difference between them. The rails and seats are completely new and fabricated to suit the shape of your particular curved stairs.
- All pre-owned stairlifts or second hand stairlifts come with a 12 month guarantee as standard.
- The batteries are replaced with new in a re-conditioned stairlift.
- Every second hand stairlift is tested so that it meets the minimum safety standards
- Re-conditioned curved stairlifts and straight stairlifts are often well over €1000 cheaper than a new one.
- Most companies selling pre-owned stairlifts, offer a full back-up and maintenance service.
- Reconditioned or pre-owned stairlifts look every bit as good as a new one.
Therefore, re-conditioned stair lifts are tempting when the price tag is far cheaper than the new alternative. For more information please contact Cork Stairlifts on (021) 432 0052 or visit our website on https://www.corkstairlifts.ie/reconditioned-stairlifts/
However, there are several pitfalls which you as a customer should be aware of.
What questions should you ask yourself before taking the plunge and purchasing a second hand stairlift?
- There are dozens of stairlift manufacturers selling their stairlift products in Ireland and they all very in terms of quality and reliability. Do you know who these manufacturers are? Do you the difference in quality of their products?
- Can you tell how old the stairlift motor is? Unless to remove the safety covers and expose the motor to see the manufacturer’s date stamp, you may have no idea how old the second hand lift motor actually is.
- Are you buying a top quality stair lift or a “budget” stair lift? The majority of stair lift motors are manufactured in China and assembled in the UK. They typically last from 1 to 3 years. Only 2-3 manufacturers build their motors in-house themselves to much higher quality standards. Could you tell the difference between a quality and budget stair lift made in china?
- Are you going to fit this second hand lift yourself or do you need a qualified engineer to fit the stairlift? What will the engineer charge for call-out and installation and when it breaks down, what will the stairlift repairs cost?
- Is the 12 month guarantee adequate? If you need the stair lift for more than 12 months what is the additional cost in year 2 and year 3 if needed? Would purchasing a new lift work out cheaper in the long run?
- How can you tell the quality of the motor of a reconditioned stair lift? Is it in good working condition or is the motor waiting to break down?
- Do you know if the re-conditioned stairlift was serviced regularly? Just like your car, a stairlift motor and rail needs servicing to keep everything in good working order.
- When the second hand stair lift breaks down after 12 months, can you get parts to fix it? Is there a company out there who will carry out the stairlift repairs for you? If so, what do they charge for call-out and labour? For more information on reconditioned stairlifts phone our office (021) 432 0052 or visit our website on https://www.corkstairlifts.ie/reconditioned-stairlifts/
The decision as always, is left entirely up to each customer. Some people decide that rather than to buy cheap and buy twice, they purchase a new stairlift. As people are living longer a new stairlift can be viewed as a long-term investment. It gives peace of mind to the user and also their family. By weighting up the pro’s and con’s you can be sure you’re making a well informed decision. Everyone is different but the type of stairlift you eventually chose, will generally be the right one for you.
By choosing a new top quality stairlift, you will get complete peace of mind backed by a full 3 year guarantee as standard and we will stand over every new stairlift for as long as the person needs it. Our top quality new stairlifts have been tried and tested, so you know what you are getting. If you need more information on re-conditioned or second hand stairlifts or if you need a free quotation please contact our office in Ballinlough on (021) 432 0052 or email John directly at John@CorkStairlifts.ie Contact us now. We’d love to chat to you.